Last Friday was our last CoderDojo session for 2015. It was a full house as usual overflowing with enthusiasm, creativity and mayhem! We have had a great year in Clonakilty – visits by Drones, lots of robotics, Makey-Makey, CoolestProjects, Scratch Competitions, Hour of Code and an amazing Expo at the end of May. We had a great night last Friday too with a small party, some guitar playing and lots of coding fun and creativity.
So over Christmas if you are looking for something to do here is a list with links to different tools we use at CoderDojo.
- HOUROFCODE – www.code.org
- Scratch – Most of us use Scratch 1.4 but the newer version Scratch 2.0 is also in use – and has a more up to date User Interface. The main version of 2.0 is online at scratch.mit.edu (so you need wi-fi to use it) but there is an offline version that you can use but we ask that if you want to use it you install it at home as it just takes a while to do it. Here is the link for it – https://scratch.mit.edu/scratch2download/
- ScratchJunior for the iPad – http://www.scratchjr.com
- Arduino – https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
- Learn to code interactively for free : www.codecademy.com
- Webpages – http://www.w3schools.com
- The 2016 Spider Awards are opening for entries soon – http://www.juniorspiders.ie/
- 3D Modelling – TinkerCad – https://www.tinkercad.com/ – Did you know that TinkerCad allows you to integrate your 3D models with Minecraft?
- AppInventor – If you want to start developing your own apps this is a great place to start – appinventor.mit.edu
- http://coderdojo.allcancode.com/ for the younger kids to play – it encourages logical thinking so give it a try!
Hopefully that’ll keep you all busy coding over the festive season 🙂
So before we sign off for the festive season we would just like to thank a few people
- Trevor Kingston from High Resolution for keeping us well stocked up in tutorials throughout the year plus allowing us to borrow his 3D printer occasionally.
- Mags McCarthy for checkin everyone in!
- Sean Hargaden’s Dad for donating a whole load of Arduinos to us in September
- Our AMAZING mentors – Sinead, Wendy, Kate, Emer, Kevin, Joe, Ian and all those who help out occasionally and whenever they can. We are sooooo grateful!!! If I have forgotten anybody please let me know!!
- SouthWestern who so generously sponsored us during the year
- And finally – THE QUALITY HOTEL (and especially Irene O’Callaghan and David Henry) for the best CoderDojo venue in the world.
Finally, wishing you all and your families a very very Happy Christmas.
25 more sleeps!!
See you in 2016! We will be back on 8th January!